- Robert E. Petersen Collection
- Ancient Firearms - 1350 to 1700
- Road to American Liberty - 1700 to 1780
- A Prospering New Republic - 1780 to 1860
- A Nation Asunder - 1861 to 1865
- The American West - 1850 to 1900
- Innovation, Oddities and Competition
- Theodore Roosevelt and Elegant Arms - 1880s to 1920s
- World War I and Firearms Innovation
- WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Beyond - 1940 to Present
- For the Fun of It
- Modern Firearms - 1950 to Present
- Hollywood Guns
Savage & North Figure 8 revolver
Fewer than one thousand Savage revolvers with this unusual dual trigger system were manufactured c. 1856-1859. The figure-8 lower trigger was actually a lever that functioned to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer when pulled. The second trigger, which is more conventional in appearance, was used to discharge the pistol. SN 240
This six-shot, single-action revolver has a 7 1/8-inch octagonal
rifled with five grooves, a total length of 14 1/4 inches, a
cylinder and rotating recoil shield 2-3/16 inches long, and weighs
three pounds seven ounces. It has a brass cone front sight, and a
round-base, V-notch rear sight set into the top of the frame under
its offset hammer. It has oil-finished walnut grips sometimes
stamped with inspectors' initials.
This revolver has an enormous trigger guard containing a ring cocking lever and a trigger. The cocking lever cocks the hammer, and rotates the cylinder after drawing it backwards away from the barrel, and the trigger releases the hammer to fire the revolver. Releasing the ring cocking lever wedges the cylinder against the barrel in a gastight union.
These revolvers were manufactured early in the War. Some are stamped "WAT" on the right grip. Barrels are stamped in three lines "SAVAGE R.F.A. CO. MIDDLETOWN-CT", over"H. S. NORTH PATENTED JUNE 17 1856", over "JANUARY 18 1859, MAY 15, 1860". This revolver was patented by Henry S. North and Edward Savage of Middletown, Connecticut, and the dates refer to U. S. Patents 15,444, 22,666 and 28,331. The patentees formed the Savage Revolving Fire Arms Company in 1860.