- Robert E. Petersen Collection
- Ancient Firearms - 1350 to 1700
- Road to American Liberty - 1700 to 1780
- A Prospering New Republic - 1780 to 1860
- A Nation Asunder - 1861 to 1865
- The American West - 1850 to 1900
- Innovation, Oddities and Competition
- Theodore Roosevelt and Elegant Arms - 1880s to 1920s
- World War I and Firearms Innovation
- WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Beyond - 1940 to Present
- For the Fun of It
- Modern Firearms - 1950 to Present
- Hollywood Guns
Brescia Mannlicher Carcano Model 1938 Bolt Action Rifle
In addition to two carbine models, Italian military forces were equipped in 1938 with a bolt action rifle chambered for the new 7.35mm cartridge.
Carcano (Italy) Model 1938 Bolt-Action Box-Magazine Rifle (repeater/ breech-loading/ smokeless powder/ cartridge ammunition) Used by Italy in World War II, this is a turn-bolt modified Mauser design with Mannlicher-type magazine. Its modifications were designed by M. Carcano of the government arsenal at Turin, Italy. The bolt is of one-piece design with dual opposed locking lugs at its head.
In World War II, Italy joined Germany and Japan in attacking the world. Fighting mostly as an adjunct to German command, Italy suffered greatly. Dispite Italy's subservience to Germany, the Italian soldier remained an independent thinker. Evidence of this appears on this gun, which has a bayonet scabbard engraved by its user. --Dr. William L. Roberts, THE AMERICAN LIBERTY COLLECTION; #138 The Carcano rifle action was jointly developed by Lt. Col. Salvatore Carcano and Col. G. Parravicino at the Torino Arms Factory in Turin, Italy. This turnbolt 6-shot repeating action, featuring dual locking lugs on the front of the bolt, is a copy of the Mauser Model 89, but it employs a single-column magazine of Mannlicher design.
Initially adopted in 1891, the simple but rugged Carcano rifles and carbines were the mainstay of the Italian Army for over 54 years and saw service in both World Wars. Over 54 million have been produced. The original Carcano design was chambered for the 6.5mm Carcano cartridge, which was one of the first small-caliber smokeless military cartridges to be adopted by a major military power. Model 1891 Carcano rifles and carbines remained in production through the end of the Second World War. The carbine variant employed a permanently-attached folding bayonet, while the rifle mounted a standard knife bayonet.
In 1938, Italy adopted a new, larger caliber 7.35mm Carcano cartridge, which was based on the 6.5mm Carcano case but with an expanded neck to accommodate the larger bullet. The M38 rifle and carbine entered production during this period, but Italy's involvement in the Second World War precluded large-scale adoption of the new arms.
Consequently, the 7.35mm cartridge and chambering were both dropped in favor of the original 6.5mm design, and many M38 long arms were re-barreled in 6.5mm. A special 6-shot cartridge clip must be used with the Carcano action. Either full- or partially-loaded clips may be inserted through the open action. When the clip is pressed down fully on the follower, a spring-loaded catch located in the rear of the box magazine secures the clip in place. After all cartridges have been fired, the empty clip drops out through the open bottom of the magazine. The Carcano clip accommodated either the 6.5mm Carcano or the 7.35mm Carcano cartridge. Without a clip, the rifle can only be used as a single-shot arm. This was a severe handicap if clips were lost or unavailable.
Carcano arms were produced in Italy by the Italian Small Arms Arsenal at Terni, and at the National Arms Factory in Brescia. Additional examples were also manufactured by P. Beretta in Gardone, Italy. In addition to Italian Army production, Carcanos were also supplied to the Finnish Army during its war with the Soviet Union during the Second World War. Some M38s were also manufactured in 7.92mm caliber (8x57mm Mauser) for use by German armed forces. A small-scale 6.5mm M 91 Carcano carbine, known as the Italian or Fascist Youth Carbine, was produced as a boy's training rifle. At the war's end, many former Italian Army Carcanos found their way to the United States with returning servicemen as trophies of war. Thousands more became available for sale as surplus military arms.